Our Response in the NewsLocal and national media outlets have covered the Food Depository’s response to the government shutdown.
- January 21: WTTW visited two pantries in the Food Depository’s network. Food Depository executive director and CEO Kate Maehr discussed the shutdown’s impact on hunger locally.
- January 22: The Chicago Tribune spoke with multiple food pantries in the Food Depository’s network about the rising need among federal employees. They also visited a special distribution for Transportation Security Administration (TSA) employees.
- January 22: WBEZ reported on the food distribution for Transportation Security Administration employees.
- January 24: NBC5 Chicago spoke to TSA workers affected by the shutdown.
- January 26: The Guardian interviewed Kate Maehr about the shutdown’s impact on federal workers.
What You Can DoThe federal government shutdown is already increasing hunger. The longer it goes on, the worse it will get. The Food Depository calls on the Senate and White House to end this unnecessary hardship for millions of Americans. We encourage anyone who is concerned about the effects of this shutdown to contact their elected officials to urge a swift resolution.
- Sign up to be a Champion Advocate. You will receive email alerts about issues related to hunger.
- Support our response to this crisis —and our daily efforts to end hunger— with a donation.