Become a Member Agency
Thank you for your interest in establishing a food program with the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Below are a few basic requirements for food programs.
New Member application process outline
- Complete and submit this Application Request Form (PDF)
- Complete an on-site Prospective Member Consultation with a Food Depository staff member
- Complete and submit New Member Application
- Complete three Pantry University Foundation Training Seminars (PDF) (registration required to attend)
- Complete an on-site site visit and be found in compliance with all stated requirements
Please see the Fall Calendar 2013 for application deadlines and training dates.
General agency requirements
- A Cook County location in a community with an established need for a food program.
- Must have a current copy of its own 501(c)(3) (federal tax exemption letter).
- Must have a basic business plan.
- Must have a budget for the food program.
- Must have a record-keeping system.
- Pantry programs must be open a minimum of two hours once a week.
- Hot meal programs must have meal times that occur once a week.
- Hot meal programs must have two certified food handlers.
- The agency must post signs that indicate both the presence of the food program and the days and hours of distribution.
For more detailed requirements, view Starting a Food Progam (PDF).
- What is a 501(c)3?/How to Start a 501(c)3? Call 1-888-361-9445 or Go to http://www.501c3.org/what-is-a-501c3/
Applications are due at least two weeks before the first scheduled course of Pantry University's quarterly Foundation Series for new agencies.
Become a new agency
Contact Agency Relations to learn more about how you can start a food program.