JOB TRAINING IS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
JOB TRAINING AND HELPING THE CAUSE, ALL IN ONE
Chicago’s Community Kitchens is a 14-week program for unemployed and underemployed adults in Cook County that prepares students for a productive career in foodservice. While training for their future, students gain hands-on experience in a variety of culinary techniques as they prepare lunch every day and participate in catering opportunities.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Give us a call at 773-843-5414 to get started.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
Criteria for being admitted into the program:
- No high school diploma or GED required
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a resident of Cook County
- Have a valid Social Security Number
- Have a 6th grade level math and reading capacity
- Demonstrate a real and continuing interest in developing a career in the foodservice industry
- Successfully complete the application, basic skills test, drug and alcohol assessment and interview
- Be unemployed/underemployed and in need of job training
- Be available Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
WHAT DOES THE FOODSERVICE PROGRAM INCLUDE?
- Hands-on experience in a state-of-the-art industrial kitchen
- Transportation assistance
- Breakfast and lunch for the duration of the training period
- Employment and job readiness classes
- ServSafe® sanitation course
- Textbook, study materials and uniform
- Graduates' eligible for job placement assistance
- Two-week unpaid internship in a commercial kitchen such as a corporate cafeteria, hospital, hotel, catering company or restaurant during the final weeks of the program
- Professional résumé and letter of recommendation signed by staff
- Trainings are conducted in the Food Depository facility
Chicago's Community Kitchens in the News
Dec. 20, 2015: Chicago's Best on WGN TV featured Chicago's Community Kitchens in their holiday episode. The piece highlights Chicago's Community Kitchens alum Terrance Bertrand, who graduated from the program and got a job at Quartino Ristorante.
WANT TO HELP SUPPORT CHICAGO’S COMMUNITY KITCHENS?
For Financial Donations, please call 773-247-FOOD (3663)
CHICAGO'S COMMUNITY KITCHENS SUPPORTERS:
INTERNSHIP SITES, EMPLOYMENT PARTNERS AND CHEF MENTORS
By sharing their knowledge of culinary career paths, our employment partners, guest presenters and chefs have made a huge impact on the success of our students and the program as a whole.
Internship sites, employment partners and chef mentors include:
Ain’t She Sweet Café
Aramark at Soldier Field
Belhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Bridge House Tavern
Bruges Brothers Food Truck
Carole Robertson Center for Learning
- The Noble Street Network of Charter Schools
- DePaul University
- Elmhurst College
- St. James School
- University Center
- Community High School District 218
Culinary Sales Support, Inc.
Del Frisco’s Steakhouse
Floriole Café & Bakery
Freestyle Restaurant at the Dana Hotel
Gary Comer Youth Center
Gibsons Restaurant Group
GT Fish & Oyster
Honey Baked Ham & Café
Hot Chocolate Restaurant
Jewell Events Catering
Labriola Baking Company
Le Pain Quotidien
Little Company of Mary Hospital
Mariano’s Fresh Market
Oak Lawn Respiratory & Rehabilitation Center
Pacific Garden Mission
Pathways Supportive Living Communities
Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
South Shore Hospital
The Chopping Block
The Duck Inn
Whole Foods Market