HELP 1 BECOME NONE
Interested in actively fighting hunger in Chicago?
Looking for more assistance or resources?
It is getting harder and harder for families to make ends meet, and many people are finding themselves skipping meals or cutting back on the quality or quantity of food they purchase for themselves and their families.
Here’s a snapshot* of the faces of hunger in Cook County, and who we serve:
- 37% are children under 18
- 9% are children under 5
- 6% are homeless
- 34% of households include at least one employed adult
- 22% of households report their main source of income is from a job
- 47% of households say they have to choose between paying for food and utilities
- 44% report choosing between paying for food and rent or mortgage
Here’s a look at what our member agencies experience:
- 88% of food pantries report seeing more clients than in 2006
- 60% of food pantries are completely volunteer-run and have no paid staff
- Food pantries receive 81% of their food from us
- Shelters receive 65% of their food from us
- Soup kitchens receive 59% of their food from us
GAIN NEW PERSPECTIVES WITH SOME RECENT STUDIES ON HUNGER
OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION
*As reported by The Greater Chicago Food Depository and Feeding America’s 2009 study.